Welcome To Singapore Cricket Club
Established in 1852, the Singapore Cricket Club is today a premier sports and social club in Asia. It is the second oldest sports club in Singapore, junior by 10 years to the Singapore Sporting Club, now the Singapore Turf Club.
The Club stands at the centre of the city's colonial heart, a public space that has witnessed many of Singapore's triumphs and defeats, upheavals, independence and the annual National Day Parades on 9 August.
Nearby historic buildings include Raffles Hotel, St Andrew's Cathedral, City Hall (on the steps of which the Japanese surrendered to the British in 1945), the Old Supreme Court (now the National Gallery Singapore), Old Parliament House (now the Arts House), Victoria Theatre and Memorial Hall, and Empress Place Building (formerly government offices and now the Asian Civilisations Museum).
Cricket was played on the Padang as early as 1837, only 18 years after Sir Stamford Raffles founded the settlement of Singapore in 1819, but it was not until 1852 that the first meetings were called to discuss the formal establishment of a cricket club. There have been no fewer than three clubhouse buildings on the Padang, the first erected some time in the 1860s, the second in 1877. The third pavilion, which forms the core of the present Clubhouse building, was built in 1884. It was extended in 1907 and the northern and southern wings that we see today were added in 1922.